Thursday, August 6, 2009

Mejores Amigas

Some say friendship lasts forever.
I say different.

What was once said will not necessarily be true five years down the track. You see, I knew a girl... we were best friends since age three until I had to move countries right before my tenth birthday.
The split was painful for us, we had shared many memories and spent 70% of our lives together. After I left, we wrote countless letters and even more emails. Long distance phone conversations were rare, though cherished. And many a late night were spent on Instant Messaging applications telling each other every single detail of what was happening in our now very different lives.

Some months passed... she became busy with school and extracurriculars, and I was spending a lot of my time getting to know the country's customs and my new friends. 
We vouched we'd be friends forever; not even 11,812 kilometres (we looked it up) could bring us apart.
However, everything must eventually come to an end, and so it was that there became no more time for emails, and IM-ing turned to be a thing of the past. 
Letters ceased also, with their content to be censored as to not give the impression that each one of us was moving on from our friendship. 

Three years later, my mother and I payed a visit to our home country and so I faced seeing her again. I was filled to the brim in mixed sensations. For one, I was extremely excited to re-join my friend in what was expected to be a warm, emotional greeting. On the other hand, I had the fear of things not going back to the way they used to. For our meeting to be uncomfortable and distant.
Indeed, we had a good time, but it only worked as the world's way to tell us our friendship was done.
After that, communication as a whole was compressed into a lonely email on birthdays and maybe a scarce letter over the Christmas holidays.

Tonight, I re-read all her letters and remembered what a special bond we used to hold. We are so different now; we could never go back to that place of unlimited trust and companionship. 

I guess all good things do come to an end.


Friday 24th July, 2009.
5:00 AM

No comments: